Thursday 8 March 2012

I can do both!!

Thanks to Mr.Marshall for his comments regarding the 'Just in Time vs Just in Case' post, it made me reflect even more on the two maps, how they are designed what they are teaching and perhaps more importantly given the discussions over the last few days who is doing the teaching. Here is part of the comment I made to Mr.Marshall about the differences between the tutorial map that comes with the Edu mod and the treasure map I created.

"The discussions I have had with people (yourself included) since I wrote this post now let me see these two different maps from another point of view.

One has me on the side doing 'nothing' except maybe helping those that are struggling while the other has me at the forefront providing the students with the knowledge I have. Both of these are two very different approaches to game based learning, I just need to work out which I prefer, and which is going to be best for each different group of students."

So which of these is best? I think that wholly depends on the teacher, the group of students and the dynamics of the classroom. Which do I prefer? Neither really, both as far as I am concerned have basically the same learning happening. The only difference really is that one makes me feel like I am doing my job, teaching the students, the other allows students to learn about the game 'without me'.

This is one of the shortest posts I have done in a while, thanks for taking the time to read, and as always feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment